House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi won’t call for a primary challenger to take on Nevada Rep. Ruben Kihuen, despite saying the freshman Democrat should resign due to sexual harassment allegations.
“This is not about politics. That’s the last thing this is about,” Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Thursday in response to questions about Kihuen, who has refused demands from party leaders to step down.
The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee did not respond to requests for comment on whether it would fund a primary challenger against Kihuen. The campaign arm has, however, removed Kihuen from its “frontline” program, which prioritizes funding for vulnerable members.
But beyond those steps, Pelosi and other Democratic leaders have not maneuvered to force Kihuen out as they did with Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.), who resigned Tuesday after a concerted behind-the-scenes effort. That could change, Democratic aides say, if more allegations crop up. The Congressional Hispanic Caucus is also divided on how to handle the issue.
Kihuen is accused of sexually harassing a campaign staffer during the 2016 election. The woman told BuzzFeed Kihuen repeatedly propositioned her romantically and touched her thighs twice without asking. Kihuen has previously denied the allegations; his office declined to comment on the record for …read more
Via:: Politico Top Stories